Book 1 Achilleus and his mother


In Book 1 I was surprised with the relationship that Achilleus has with his mother. Homer mimics the relationship to be somewhat of a child and a mothers guidance. It was sort or heartwarming in a way. Achilleus is battling the plague and losing his people. Homer writes, “Many times stretching  forth his hands he called his mother” (line 351). In other words Homer is describing Achilleus praying to his mother. I was confussed since I thought that the Greeks only pray to the gods. But in this case Achilleus in praying to his mother about what Zeus has done to him. Achilleus reminds me of a child who is in trouble. He calls his mother in hopes that she is listening and for help. Thetis, “sits beside him as he wept, and stroked him with her hand…” (line 360-361). Achillesu knows his mother is always listening. Achilleus tell her, “You know; since you know why I must tell you all this?” (line 356). Despite the fact that Achilleus knows his mother already knows what has happened, he still continues to tell her the situation. I took this as Achilleus venting to his mother about his problems and struggles. Many people sometimes just need to talk about what happened to make themselves feel better. This made me think that Homer wanted to relate to humans in an emotional level.

Comments

  1. I also found this section of book one to be particularly interesting. Like you said, the fact that Achilleus called out for his mother rather than praying towards a god offers insight towards how he handles grief during hard times, which is progress in the development of his character. Also, the fact that his mother is willing to go so far as to go to Olympus and persuade Zeus shows the extent of Achilleus's relationship with his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed their relationship too when we were discussing in class. It was comforting in a way. Amidst all the quarrels, war, violence etc. in the poem, it was nice to see such a loving relationship. Achilles is described as strong and one of the best fighters, and after his arguments with Agamemnon I didn't expect him to show such vulnerability. I'm hoping this will be explored more in the future books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this scene so beautiful. We get to see a vulnerable side of Achilles as he calls out for his mother to comfort him. This part gives us great insight into their relationship. Achilles retreating into his mother's arms and her maternal instinct emphasizes the strong, loving bond they share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was reading this section about the interaction between Achilles and his mother, I found it really interesting. It is comforting to know that despite everything that is going on, Achilles have this warm and loving relationship with his mother. Like you said, I find it very interesting that Achilles prays to his mother rather than to gods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also thought this was interesting, but it makes sense that he spends so much time praying to her, since she is a god that can be considered more powerful than Zeus in some ways. Despite being a great warrior and demigod, Achilles is humanized in a way that many people can relate to, such as getting comfort from a parent. This adds a human element to someone that may seem almost robotic, in the sense that he is such an unstoppable warrior.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment