Books 4-5

While reading books 4 and 5 the idea that had continually come to mind was the idea of how the immortals (gods) and mortals are similar. What I mean by this is I am guilty of being biased and having the view that gods are all powerful, without fault. In the midst of book 4 and 5 this becomes viewed as a gross misconception. One line that struck me as relevant to my ideas was " So now this is no horrible war of Achaians and Trojans..." (Book 5, line 375). At this point there was the intervention of Aphorodites to save Aineias. The god have intervention in this affair of mortals and do not particularly oversee, but rather directly intervene. I also found it interesting how the fact that the immortal are able to be harmed and injured by mortals; it is true that they do not die, but they still are able to acquire injuries from a mortal. Diomedes son of Tydeus has two instances where he has triumped over a God , those being Aphrodites and Ares. These instances of the interaction of mortals with the immortals make me take a step back and remold the idea of the interpretation of gods, and the image that the Iliad aims to project to the reader.

Comments

  1. I agree with your perspective on the story, the more we read the more we see similarities between the Gods and the mortals. And I think that he was only able to harm Aphrodite because Athena gave him the sharp bronze. Maybe she was able to bless his sword to hurt other immortals ...I don't know I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment