Iliad 4.20-43
At the council of the gods, daughter Athena fumes silently about Zeus’ thinking that it might be “pleasing” if the war were to end. But Hera really gives Zeus a piece of her mind by saying how dare he waste all this hard work they’ve done on making a war! Zeus wonders what was the terrible thing that must have happened to her that she would want to bring down the Trojans so badly. I wonder this same thought. It must have been pretty severe if it would take Hera’s killing and eating all people (raw) in the cities of Ilion and Priam for her anger to subside. Perhaps Zeus knowing this about her anger is what lead him to let her have her way and let the war continue. In letting her know that next time he wants to destroy a city, especially when there are people there she likes, that she shouldn’t stand in his way. This makes me think that he is implying that he is fond of certain Trojans that she wants to destroy, but I can’t seem to conjure which ones he’s alluding to specifically.
I really like your point, and it was something that I just passed by and didn't notice the big conflict. How Zeus the God of all Gods to actually "fear" his wife , and to know how powerful she is and could be. It's interesting to see how their relationship works. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of their relationship, I looked it up out of curiosity and it said that Zeus and Hera were married and siblings. I'm not sure if it's true but I was shocked.
ReplyDelete