Iliad Book 1

While I believe that the entirety of Book 1 within The Iliad was a solid start to introducing the setting and emerging conflict within the story, there was one scene in particular that I found fairly interesting. Beginning on page 76, the entire scene where Achilleus calls for an assembly shows the passion that this man has for standing up for his people. He stood up to Agamemnon and spoke with such passionate words that the entire scene felt very moving. Later on during the argument, Achilleus felt so much anger towards Agamemnon that he felt the urge to cut him down with his sword. This led to Athena, a goddess, coming down and having to stop Achilleus, a mortal, from doing something rash. The tension of this scene constantly ramps up and brought excitement to me as I was reading. Despite being ordered to not strike down Agamemnon by the goddess, Achilleus still chooses to fight on with his words, slinging insults and fighting words towards the son of Atreus. Achilleus chooses to end the conversation by stating "With my hands I will not fight for the girl's sake, neither with you nor any other man, since you take her away who gave her. But of all the other things that are mine beside my fast black ship, you shall take nothing away against my pleasure. Come, then, only try it, that these others may see also; instantly your own black blood wills taint my spearpoint." (lines 298-304) I believe that this scene was overall very powerful and a great introduction to the hatred between two important characters within the story.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was reading Book 1, I also found that section of the conflict between Achilleus and Agamemnon to be the most exciting part of the reading. I did however find the character, Achilleus was intimidated by Agamemnon. Homer stated Agamemnon to be "powerful" (line 130). I cannot recall Achilleus being mentioned as strong as Agamemnon. Not only is Agamemnon strong and built but he also is not threatened by Achilleus words. Agamemnon responds, "What do you want? To keep my own prize and have me sit here lacking one? Are you ordering me to give this girl back?" (lines 133-134). In other words, Agamemnon is questioning Achilleus. I find this to be diminishing in the eyes of Achilleus. Usually you do not question someone with authority unless you are the higher authority. Agamemnon does not show he is threatened by Achilleus because he even says, " I shall convey her back in my own ship, with my own followers; but I shall take the fair- checked Briseis, your prize, I myself going to your shelter, that you may learn well how much greater I am than you..."(lines 183- 186). In other words, Agamemnon says that Achilleus may take his women but he will return into his tent and take her and show him how much greater he is compared to Achilleus. I find it interesting that all of this fighting it about women and that they are looked at as prizes and achievements.

      Delete
    2. I thought this was interesting too, mainly because it made me dislike Agamemnon alot. I know he is this great fighter and leader, but he just comes off as pompous and rude to me. He actually reminds me of Zeus in the fact that they are both childish and short-tempered.

      Delete

Post a Comment