The Iliad Book 2

I found book 2 of The Iliad to be interesting for multiple reasons.  The thing I found the most interesting though is dissecting the personalities and egos of the gods, Zeus in particular.  Zeus is often dubbed the "kind of Gods."  He's depicted as a magnificent and all-powerful ruler.  However, I found him to be immature, childish, and short-tempered.  Basically, he reminded me of your stereotypical alpha phi omega frat guy.  When Zeus agrees to Thetis' wish, Hera gets upset that Zeus had made a decision concerning mortals without consulting her.  He responds, "So sit down, keep quiet, and be obedient to my orders, for all the gods on Olympus will avail you nothing when I come close and lay invincible hands on you" (lines 565-568).  I find it incredulous that Zeus threatened his own wife, especially as all she did was voice her concern about being excluded.  Zeus becomes irrationally angry at even the slightest questioning of his power or authority.  Although he is always regarded as a mighty god, he also exhibits a lot of human traits.  Zeus may have more in common humans than we think.

Comments

  1. I enjoy your fraternity comparison. After the section you referenced (book 1, line 565) it goes further into this metaphor when Hera’s son Hephaistos has the nerve to tell her to sit down because her and Zeus’ fighting over the mortals is ruining the party for the gods! And then he puts a huge drink in her hand to further placate her and tell her to endure it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment