Who's to Blame?

I am amazed how the Trojan War was an avalanche of mistakes from the immortal, of course, the mortals are also to blame. But the Gods.are interfering so much since the beginning. It's like they are shaping the war based on their personal interest. Starting with Aphrodite, who interfered with the combat between Paris and Menelaus,(Book 3 Line 380) She took Paris when Menelaus was about to kill him because she believed that Helen and he should be together. And later ( Book 5 Lines 124 - 132), Athena who was not happy with Aphrodite's decision she helped Diomedes gain strength again and gives instructions for him to kill Aphrodite, which he tried to on Book 5 lines 375 -380. And Aphrodite says that the mortals are bringing the war to the immortals, which I think is really ironic since they have been interfering with their battles and choices since the beginning. Don't you think?

Comments

  1. I agree with you that the gods are acting out of their own interest. In book 3 line 65 Alexandros/Paris speaks that the gods give their gifts of their own will and that man couldn’t receive these gifts just by the simple act of wanting them. I am curious as we read on to find if there are indeed moments of mortals wishes being granted by the gods simply by asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the gods are also to blame. I found it interesting just how much they interfered not only among mortals but among other gods as well. We think of the divine to be perfect but here we can see that that isn't the case at all as they are very much flawed and oh so petty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment