book 18
in book 18, Anitilochos brings news of Patroklus' death to Achilleus. Achilleus is deeply saddened by the news. His mother, Thetis, shows up to try and comfort him. She warns him that he will die soon after defeating Hektor. "I must die soon then; since I was not to stand by my companion when he was killed...Now I shall go to overtake that killer of a dear life, Hektor; then I will accept my own death..." (line 98-115) Achilleus feels guilty for remaining on the sidelines for far too long while his friend dies in battle. He accepts his fate. Hektor had taken away Patroklus' armor. "For I am coming to you at dawnand as the sun rises bringing splendid armor to you from the lord Hephaistos." (line 136-137) Thetis knows that she won't be able to stop Achilleus from obtaining revenge so she wanted to provide him with new armor from the divine blacksmith. Hera sent Iris to inform Achilleus that his reappearance on the battlefield alone would make the trojans rethink fighting back. "There he stood, and shouted, and form her place Pallas Athene gave cry, and drove an endless terror upon the Trojans." (lines 217-218) I found this interesting because a single man's appearance was enough to make an army frightened, although he was with Athena.
Yes it is interesting how not even Thetis can stop him being that she is so powerful so that means Achilles can be even more powerful than someone who can free the chains of Zeus from earlier in the book.
ReplyDeleteI also found it very interesting that with just Achilleus' appearance, it already send the Trojans fleeing and frightened. This goes to show how powerful Achilleus is and it was a waste that he didn't join the battle earlier.
ReplyDelete