Book 22: Hectors holding hope or in doubt?


In Book 22, I already suspected the death of Hector. I was not only sad but I also was surprised. I was sad because in a way I felt like Hector had won glory because he was fighting for his family, his people and Troy. Just before Hector is knows he is going to die but sort of reflects to see if he can change his destiny. Hector states, “I feel shame before the Trojans and the Trojan women with trailing robes, that someone who is less of a man than I will say of me: ‘Hektor believed in his own strength and ruined his people.’ Thus they will speak; and as for me, it would be much better at that time, to go against Achilleus, and slay him, and come back, or else be killed by him in glory in front of the city” (line 105- 110). Hector is almost doubting that he can kill Achilles and therefore he wishes to change his destiny. To be killed in front of your people is much better because I believe Homer is emphasizing that it would bring glory to you honor. It would show a death worthy of glory and honor.

Comments