book 23
I think Achille's and Patroculs's relation is shown to be really strong. When Achaen troops return to the camp and Achille's grief for Patroclus's death is massive and he shows a lot of sense of loss. I think he feels the loss of both a true comrade in his army and a close companion. I feel the appearance of Patroclus's ghost shows a unique bond between Achilles and Patroclus. I think it shows that their connection is so strong that he returns from the dread to speak to him.For example, their joint burial shows their bond. Also, Achille's sacrifice, including 12 Trojans is an effort to show how much pain and sorrow he feels. Moreover, I think the games mark the end of the period of grieving for Patroclus.
I thought it was really interesting this passage too, and have them see each other again. It shows how important it is for the Greeks including the Trojans the funeral ceremony and how their bodies needs the rituals to be in peace and go to the underworld.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think the grief Achilles feels over Patroclus' death really shows the bond between them. After refusing to join the battle for so long, Achilles let go of his anger towards Agamemnon, and immediately went to the battlefield to avenge his friend, despite knowing that he would die as a result of his decision. The hair Achilles threw into the fire also shows that he could want to make sure Patroclus has a small part of Achilles with him, even in death.
ReplyDelete