Antigone- Calm Resolve

Antigone knew that burying her brother was against Creon’s law, but that didn’t mean anything to her. I believe, even if it were against the law of Zeus or Justice, that she would have done it anyway and gladly have accepted the consequence of death. Antigone doesn’t think she could have received any greater glory than burying her dead brother. And now that she has, she has no problem dying. It seems that Creon thinks of her as coming across as glib, or insensitive or unfeeling about the matter. He even accuses her of laughing about the situation. I think of her more as steadfast in her resolve. She wonders why he delays in having her killed. There is nothing more for her to live for, her greatest duty in life has been done. If I were in this very extreme situation, I myself can imagine having the calm focus and resolve to die if I had accomplished the one deed that meant the most to me in life. Especially if I was sick with mourning and my internal moral and just compass told me the only thing to be done was by honoring my brother who had been taken away from me.

Comments

  1. Ismene also somewhat shows her resolve after Antigone was caught and she was going to be sentenced to death. She didn't want to live without her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Antigone is a strong character, and since the beginning of the book, she knew what she wanted to do with or without her sister. And she accomplishes that, and Creon with all his rules and trying to end this family curse ends up killing his son.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment