Greek Tragedies I: Agamemnon

In the Greek Tragedies I, I was interested to hear somewhat the side of the enemy of Troy side of the story. I was a bit confused as to why the first opening line was the Watchman of Agamemnon. I was also surprised that Clytemnestra, Agamemnon’s wife was ruling in the absence of the king. The author states, “ To such end of a lady’s male strength of heart in its high confidence ordains” (line 10-11). I took this statement as the watchmen fearing that there is a women ruling Argos. It almost seems as though it was not true. Women roles in this period was to do as their husbands say. But this perspective shows the wife of the king taking control and governing the people in his absence. I found this section of Agamemnon to help a lot with character naming as well. I was not aware that Agamemnon was king of Argos and that Menelaus was king of Sparta. I thought they both ruled Sparta. Did anymore else find this sections helpful in understanding more of the story? 

Comments

  1. I also thought it was really interesting that Agamemnon's wife was taking control and ruling in the absence of the king. The traditional role of a women is to listen and go along with whatever men told them to do and Clytemnestra did the opposite of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Clytemnestra wasn't in power, who would be the one to take over while the king is away?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment