Book 4, War in Olympus as War in Troy
As I was reading book
4, I was surprised to discover that the gods also have weaknesses. Homer describes
the Greek gods as embodying the same passion and flaws as the immortals or
humans. The only difference is that the gods never die and therefore can
continue to make mistakes despite their choices. In Book 4, I got the
impression that Hera, Zeus wife was manipulative and devious. She wants to see Troy
destroyed. She even says, “Of all the cities there are three that are dearest to
my own heart: Argos and Sparta and Mykenai…” (line 51-52). I think that she
would have perhaps changed her mind if her son, Hephaestus would advise her otherwise
as done in Book 1. I really thought that Hera would have side with her husband
and want the war to be over, but instead convinces him to send Athena to
restart the war. It is clear that Homor did this to intentionally continue to
novel. I felt as though Zeus depiction in this book is not as strong as in
previous ones. Zeus says, “Go now swiftly to the host of the Achainas and
Trojans and try to make it so that the Trojans are first offenders to injury against the oaths to the far-famed
Achainas” (line 70-72). Zeus follows Heras orders in a way. I made me realize
that Zeus and Hera are essential in order to rule over the Greeks.
I think it becomes more and more clear throughout the story that the gods are more like mortals than someone might initially think. Although they are immortal, they get caught up in drama in Olympus, with each god having their own agenda and way of getting what they want. An example of this was when Thetis manipulated Zeus into giving Achiellus all the glory that he wanted. Like you said, Hera wanted to see Troy destroyed. Typically when someone thinks of a god, they usually think of a being that is all powerful, with no desire for small mortal conflicts, like whether or not Troy is destroyed. However, all throughout the story it is shown that the gods have petty desires and flaws, just like regular people.
ReplyDelete