Book 9 - Well look who decided to be a grown up!

I was pleasantly surprised in Book 9 with Agamemnon.  I initially dubbed him as arrogant, immature, and an all around jerk.  However, I was taken aback when he finally owned up to being irrational and insulting Achilles. Agamemnon says, "Old sir, there was nothing amiss in your telling of my blindness.  Deluded I was: I admit it ... But since I was blinded, a slave to my wretched passions, I'm willing to make amends, to pay boundless compensation." (9.115-120).  Agamemnon proceeds to list off all the treasures he promises to Achilles if he comes back to fight. I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief, a "Finally!"  My question is: Is Agamemnon's apology overdue?  I can't help but think that Agamemnon has indirectly (or directly) caused the state that the Achaeans are in.   The Achaeans have been driven all the way to their ships, and their moral is lower than ever.  I wonder if this would be the case if Agamemnon had not angered Achilles.  If Achilles had come to fight, and as a result his soldiers had also, would the Achaeans be in such a bad position?

Comments

  1. To answer your question, I think Agamemnon's apology was long overdue. Achilles is clearly one of the best warriors of his army, if the not the best, so if I was Agamemnon, I'd do everything in my power to keep him happy and able to continue fighting. I think the promises he made to Achilles were made more out of fear out of not knowing how to win a losing war, rather than genuinely trying to make things right with Achilles. I definitely do not think Agamemnon's army would be doing poorly if Achilles was with them, but to see how far they've fallen since his exit says a lot about their dependence on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Agamemnon's apology is clearly long overdue because he should've never angered Achilles. It is clear that they need Achilles to fight in the war considering the fact that he is the greatest warrior. In my opinion, I believed that Agamemnon is still immature and ignorant because he thinks a bunch of gifts are suppose to make up the fact that he insulted Achilles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have the same opinion of Agamemnon even though I do commend him for just entering the battle without hesitation rather than having one of those selfish moments again, maybe it was a moment for him to prove to his people that he cares or to show Achilles something. Agamemnon's character is confusing to analyze, but just going by the readings I'm not sure how he really feels or thinks now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment