Book 19-20


In book 19 Thetis gives Achilles an amor that was forged by Hephaestus. As Achilles gets his men ready Agamemnon gives him the gift he promised. Achilles is now eager to back to war. Achilles did not want to eat until he slain hector but Zeus feeds his hunger. Achilles says something interesting that he knows his fate and knows by entering he has sealed his fate does this mean he knows he’s going to die and accepts it ? In book 20 while Achaeans and Trojans prepare to battle Zeus calls all the gods to Mt. Olympus and all gods agree to not interfere. Zeus knows Achilles is gonna win if he steps on the battlefield which is interesting to me because the gods have been involved all the whole time but all of them agree to just sit back and watch. Basically the gods did all this for entertainment.

Comments

  1. Yes David I also found that statement that Achilles talks about his fate. He also goes on to talk about his death in Book 21 as well. Achilles states, "Yet even I have also my death and my strong destiny" (line 110). Here Achilles is more in tune with what is going on. I believe that Achilles has accepted his fate and therefore that is the reason he is delaying killing of Hector. The moment Achilles killed Hector and dies in the process he will no longer have existence. I do agree that the gods use the immortals as entertainment. Since the beginning it has always been a show for them. In Book 20 Zeus states, "I shall stay her upon the fold of Olympus sitting still, watching, to please my heart (line 22-23). In other words Zeus is as a matter of fact telling the rest of the gods that it is there entertainment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment