Book 24: Was the ending truly the ending?


The ending of the Iliad didn’t not feel like the ending of the novel to me. I was left confused and wondering what exactly will happen to Achilles now. Was anyone else left confused and incomplete? I still strongly dislike  that Homer did not put Achilles death. I don’t know, I felt like Homer designed to books in a way that Hektor ended the story. It is werid it is as though Hektor really did end the war just like he really did end the books. Literally the last sentence it, “Such was their burial of Hektor, breaker of horses”(Book24, line 804). I took this statement as Hector’s death will forever be grieved upon. Because Hektor was loved by all of the Trojan city he will forever be memorable because he died in honor and for his people. I do not want to say that I was happy with every decision that Hector made because some made no sense to me. But the majority of his decisions had reasoning behind them and to me his character was true.  

Comments