Philoctetes- delirious and dramatic

When Philoctetes and Neoptolemus are alone together, Philoctetes goes absolutely delirious with pain. Or actually, he finally lets out the intensity of his constant unbearable reality that Neoptolemus hasn’t quite seen yet. He asks for his foot to be chopped off, and even goes so far as to say not to spare his life! Neoptolemus asks if Philoctetes wants him to hold him, but Philoctetes says no, but offers up his bow. Then the contemplation of Neoptolemus to take the bow or not, followed by the realization that they need Philoctetes as well as the bow… This whole scene is playing almost farcical in my head. I imagine Neoptolemus giving takes out to the audience, sharing his temptations to kill him, or steal his bow and run off. But I feel that the story must not be meant to come across this way, but I just can’t wrap my head around the style. It feels very over the top. 

Comments

  1. His will to survive on the island alone while in pain for 10 years was very impressive. I really don't know how Odysseus expected Philoctetes to trust him and go with him after they betrayed him

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment