Ruling with fear vs ruling with adoration (Prometheus Bound)

Immediately when I read this story, I thought of Zeus in the same way I thought of Agamemnon- a ruler who doesn't understand that being cruel isn't the right way about getting trust from people. This is seen several times with Zeus, specifically when he turned Io into a cow and when he chained Prometheus to the mountain, all for his personal gain. Just like Agamemnon, Zeus is a powerful ruler, but constantly creates conflict with those that are supposed to be his friends or simply allies, and eventually doesn't gain anything as result of his cruelty. If Zeus wouldn't have been so cruel to Prometheus, he likely would've been informed of the possible marriage that would overthrow him if he hadn't been so cruel to Prometheus. Just like with Agamemnon, if they had both chosen to not go down the road of punishing those they should've valued, they would have both been much better off. This shows the negatives associated with ruling with fear, rather than ruling with adoration.

Comments

  1. I really like the comparison that you made with Zeus and Agamemnon. They are indeed similar to one another, and the other point of this passage that I thought was really intriguing was if Zeus is so powerful as he says he is. Why does he need to worry so much about someone overthrowing him?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment